Named after Carlo Alberto Radaelli, patriot and general, the Radaelli battery was built on the easternmost edge of the Venetian coast and played an especially active part in combating the Austro-Hungarian offensive of the summer of 1918. Its main building housed four revolving cannons each mounted to a low, armoured revolving dome. In World War Two it served as a warehouse for the supplies of a nearby German anti-aircraft battery and as a prison for soldiers and civilians found guilty of minor crimes. Like Battery San Marco, Radaelli too is now part of a seaside tourist resort for the disabled and some of its buildings are used for tourism and commerce. Still visible and in good condition over the entrance door is a fine symbolic high relief depicting giants hurling rocks against the sea.
Text from the book: "Le Fortificazioni - Frammenti di guerra"