Work began in 1909 and was completed in 1912. The San Marco battery was named after St. Mark, Venetian patron saint, and took an especially active part, together with the Amalfi and Radaelli batteries in the lower Piave land battles, above all in the summer of 1918. Battery San Marco consisted of a main building and a number of subsidiary buildings erected within an outer wall and once sheltered by a huge artificial sand dune. It was also equipped with two large cannons positioned at the top of the main building in armoured towers capable of revolving 360° with a range of up to 18 km. Today it is one of the best preserved batteries on the coast and part of its brick enclosure walls are still intact together with its great iron gate surmounted by the St. Mark lion, traces of its rail tracks and a few of its subsidiary buildings which now house tourist and commercial activities.
Text from the book: "Le Fortificazioni - Frammenti di guerra"